Couchbase Fuses Strengths of Modern and Legacy Databases to Accelerate Enterprise Applications for Customers
"Our organization requires the ability to deliver faster operational performance while lowering cost of ownership," said
According to Forrester1, "Many organizations still use applications based on legacy fourth-generation languages and database management systems and other legacy technologies that haunt them to this day." As such, there is an urgent need for a database platform that can support both developing and deploying new applications and also modernizing and upgrading existing ones. Couchbase Server 7 eliminates the key friction points that have kept enterprises from modernizing their relational-based applications, giving them the agility and flexibility to accelerate the development of modern business-critical applications.
Customers benefit in many ways, including the ability to execute business transactions within their customer-facing applications, develop rich customer 360 data models and applications that drive personalization and execute long standing plans to modernize relational-based applications to the cloud. Furthermore, development teams can more easily make the transition from legacy relational databases to
Couchbase Server 7 highlights include:
- Eliminating the complexities of database sprawl by adding fully mature SQL transaction capabilities. This means customers no longer need both a relational database and also a NoSQL database.
Couchbasenow has multi-statement SQL transactions by fusing together transactions and high-volume interactions. For the first time, customers can do multi-document SQL ACID transactions with interactions in microseconds all within one unified database platform.
- Enabling runtime updates with zero downtime through a dynamic data containment model. Couchbase Server 7 introduces schema and table-like organizing structures, called "scopes and collections," within the schemaless database. Only with Couchbase Server 7 can customers add a table (the "collection") in
Couchbase, while transactions are happening without having to add or modify the schema (the "scope") or take down the database for this upgrade. This greatly speeds up innovation cycles. The new multi-level, dynamic data organizing structure allows the platform to match and migrate relational data models into Couchbase Server 7, and then inverts ongoing control of the data structures from the database administrator to the application developer, thereby improving their productivity.
- Faster operational performance that lowers the total cost of ownership facilitated by collection-level processing of data access, partitioning and index isolation. Couchbase Server 7 also adds a configurable backup service. Data sets delivered to microservices are faster, index builds execute in parallel and indexes are portable during data rebalancing. And finally, the query service adds a cost-based query optimizer to replace its former rules-based optimization.
Couchbase Server 7 is now generally available and can be downloaded here.
"With Couchbase Server 7, the relational versus NoSQL database debate is over. Modern developers no longer have to struggle with having multiple databases– a relational database for transactionality, and a NoSQL database for flexibility and scale. We are delighted to be the first modern Database-as-a-Service provider to combine traditional relational database functionality like SQL and transactions with the flexibility and scalability of NoSQL. The data containment model and distributed SQL transactions introduced in Couchbase Server 7 give developers a familiar programming model on a distributed database. In addition, there are 30 other innovations covering query, search, eventing, analytics and geo-replication. No other database has organically fused all of these capabilities in a single database. These innovations give developers an astonishing advantage to build modern enterprise applications for a connected world." –
"Erwin has been working closely with
- For more about what's new in Couchbase Server 7, read this blog post
- Register for a Couchbase Server 7 webinar to learn more about the new release
North America- Wednesday, August 11, 2021at 11:00 AM Pacific Daylight Time
- EMEA -
Thursday, August 12, 2021at 10:00 AMBritish Summer Time
- APAC -
Thursday, August 12, 2021at 4:00 PMAustralian Eastern Standard Time
- Find out more about
1 Forrester, Now Tech: Application Modernization and Migration Services, Q1 2021
View original content to download multimedia:https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/couchbase-fuses-strengths-of-modern-and-legacy-databases-to-accelerate-enterprise-applications-for-customers-301344196.html
Michelle Lazzar, Couchbase Communications, couchbasePR@couchbase.com